Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My sun concurs started yesterday not feeling well this morning…

Customer Question
My sun concurs started yesterday...
My sun concurs started yesterday not feeling well this morning she vomited up her food she is still squawking but refused my coffee this am which she loves
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
6/21/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Vomiting/regurgitating birds are surprisingly difficult to assess even when I'm brought these birds to thoroughly examine which will include diagnostics in the form of blood tests, culture of the droppings, and X-rays. This fact notwithstanding, unless your conure remisses unaided within 48 hours, you'll need an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) to clarify why your conure is behaving so. For a very through review of vomiting/regurgitating, please see here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2418 For now, I would fast your bird for 6 hours - water should be available, however - to see if its crop empties and resting its GI tract will suffice to normalize it. Please keep it in an 80F environment in order to minimize the energy required to keep its body heat maintained. If a new batch of seeds or other foods were offered prior to her not feeling well, please discard it and replace it with food obtained at a different place than the previous food. Please let me know what its diet has consisted of. We do see too much illness related to nutritional imbalances. Please note that coffee should be avoided unless it's decaffeinated although even decaffeinated coffee contains some caffeine. Caffeine causes cardiac malfunction in birds and is associated with increased heartbeat, arrhythmia (irregular heart beat), hyperactivity, and cardiac arrest. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian