Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

We discovered a sparrow or finch nest with baby birds in it

Customer Question

We discovered a sparrow or finch nest with baby birds in it in a hanging planter by our front door. The discovery was accidental. I was watering the plant when the mama bird flew out, and I discovered the babies. Their eyes are closed and they have no feathers. How can I tell if mama bird will return to care for them and how long should I wait before taking them to a rehab place. If mama is coming back I don't want to disturb them, but I don't know how long they can live if she stays away. Thanks.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Has their mother returned?
If not, are they crying for her?
How long has she been away now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The mother came back this morning so I think all is well. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
That is great news and the best for these little ones.
Since you didn't need any aid and there wasn't a vet on to help you at the time of your posting, I shall send your question back to customer service for you.
Take care & all the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.