Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I'm trying to locate a bird (Aviary) Veterinarian in

Customer Question
Hello, I'm trying to locate...
Hello, I'm trying to locate a bird (Aviary) Veterinarian in Tampa, Florida. Can you recommend an excellent doctor for my little Green Cheek Conure? She hurt her right foot yesterday and I've no idea what happened. She does not appear to be in any pain, is eating, drinking, preening, and so forth. However, her personality has changed much. Not to be anthropomorphic, but she appears to be exhibiting signs of fear due to vulnerability. Very cautious, no happy sounds and doesn't want me to hold her when she's always loved it. She will not lower her right foot on perch or any flat surface. She also is not able to "make a fist" for lack of any better term. One of her back toes appears especially affected, flat and extended. My vision is poor, but she also appears to have over preened one of her claws and is left with a much thinner, shorter claw on the other back toe. Can you help Periqueta birdie, please?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
My phone number is(###) ###-####
6/16/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 3 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
I certainly do not mind anthropomorphism, and I think your observations are completely valid.
My guess is that she caught her toenail in something and pulled it off. The bone and tissue below will look much thinner. And as you can imagine, it hurts a lot. And also, depending on what happened, she may have real reason to feel vulnerable and frightened. In addition, these kinds of injuries can be associated with fractures, soft tissue injury, and even nerve damage.
You are welcome to upload a photo so I can be of more specific help. Also check the cage and surroundings for anything that might have trapped or injured the foot.
The best I can do is to give you a list and a link; if you are not in Tampa proper you can search by zip code:
http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803
my first choice:
Teresa Lightfoot
BluePearl Veterinary Specialists
3000 Busch Lake Blvd
Tampa
Florida
33614 United States (###) ###-####(Phone) (###) ###-####(Fax)
Ray Ball
Tampa
Florida
33604
United States
Peter Black
Tampa
Florida
33612
United States
Peter Helmer
Tampa
Florida
33614
United States
Teresa Lightfoot
Tampa
Florida
33614
United States
Farid Saleh VMD
Tampa
Florida
33626
United States
Julia S. Shakeri
Tampa
Florida
33614
United States
Lisa Teske DVM
Tampa
Florida
33626
United States
If you feel comfortable with it, examine the bird thoroughly, using gentle restraint via washcloth or hand towel: do not restrict the chest or hold around the body. Check the eyes, nostrils, mouth and beak if possible, having a good look in there for mucus, redness, masses or anything else unusual. Palpate the tummy for pain, fluid, lumps or anything else (eggs, if female or unknown). Check all the joints for swelling, pain, and mobility. The feathers should be parted to view the skin, muscles and skeleton below; this can be done using a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol or KY gel. Look for bruising, lacerations, injured feathers.
Your job is to keep the bird warm, safe, quiet, and confined; and to provide adequate hydration and calories.
You will want to prevent further injury and pain. Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose. The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean. Here are some helpful links:
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/emergency-care/
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptarium-Cages