Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

My bird is having a flu like sickness!What should i

Customer Question
Hi! My bird is having...
Hi! My bird is having a flu like sickness!
What should i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
6/14/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
Can you explain exactly what the symptoms are? Do you mean reespiratory or GI? Vomiting? Diarrhea? Difficult breathing?
What are the poops like?
Appetite?
Posture and appearance?
What exactly species and age?
Female for certain?
Can you tell me more about the bird?​
How long has this been going on?
Any accidents or trauma?
Reproductive activity?
Interactions with other birds/pets/children/guests?
What is the usual diet? has it changed recently?
Has the bird gotten into anything? Chewed electrical wires?
If you feel comfortable with it, examine the bird thoroughly, using gentle restraint via washcloth or hand towel: do not restrict the chest or hold around the body. Check the eyes, nostrils, mouth and beak if possible, having a good look in there for mucus, redness, masses or anything else unusual. Palpate the tummy for pain, fluid, lumps or anything else (eggs, if female or unknown). Check all the joints for swelling, pain, and mobility. The feathers should be parted to view the skin, muscles and skeleton below; this can be done using a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol or KY gel. Look for bruising, lacerations, injured feathers.
Your job is to keep the bird warm, safe, quiet, and confined; and to provide adequate hydration and calories.
Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose. The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean. Here are some helpful links:
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/emergency-care/
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptarium-Cages
Do not try to force food or water. Pedialyte or electrolyte replacer can help but many birds do not like them; when in doubt, plain warm water is best. They can hydrate from oral fluids almost as quickly as IV if the GI is functioning properly. You can offer warm cooked rice, pancakes, cornbread, grapes, melon, greens in addition to normal food.
Pet/feed store medications and home remedies are harmful, ineffective, immuno-suppressive, and make them much worse and may interfere with the veterinarian's diagnosis and treatment. Do not use them.
I know it is expensive, but you may not have many home options, because the first thing you need a vet for is to find out what is going on. Treatment is only as good as the diagnosis. If you call around, you may find a vet to work within your means.
I really must stress that you need a bird-experienced person, and not just a vet who advertises that they care for birds. You need to take your bird to see an avian-experienced veterinarian ASAP for complete examination, diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Check https://aav.site-ym.com/?page=basiccare
click on "find a vet"
http://aav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=1803
for members of AAV in your area or call your regular vet and see who they recommend; ask if they really have worked with birds a lot.
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian