Dr. Gary, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  2 plus years as a bird vet
15010675

My conure has something caught i. His crop and is at the ER. Can't they get it out? I

Customer Question

My conure has something caught i. His crop and is at the ER. Can't they get it out? I can feel it and see it but they are not done g enough. Taking g x-rays. But say he is too far gone maybe. He was trying g to get it up and out but just wants to sleep. He spit up some li uids he drank right after it started. And then just got quite. What else can we do?? Help he is a good bird.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your bird.
If there is a foreign body in the crop, then surgery is the preferred treatment to remove it. X-rays should show the crop pretty well. Most of the time, we can feel the firm structure on exam.
The surgery is called an ingluviotomy. He should be stabilized with IV fluids and heat support and then taken to surgery to have the crop opened and emptied. Any time we do surgery on a bird, it's risky, but these guys can have a good outcome.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.