Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Parakeet got scratched by our cat. What ani biotic can we…

Customer Question
Parakeet got scratched by our...
Parakeet got scratched by our cat. What ani biotic can we give?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
6/10/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Where was he scratched?
Did the cat break the skin?
How is he just now?
We are assuming it is a scratch but could also just be that some feathers were pulled out. Was bloody under one wing. She has gained lots of strength since yesterday when it happened- between 3-5:30 when we were out.she is flying almost at regular pace. Only thing is the wing is slightly off the body and is shaking a little
Also we did put bacitran on the area under the wing last night and this morning
Hi again,
I am glad to hear that she is showing more strength today, though holding it out tells us that it is uncomfortable.
Can you tell me if she seemed subdued/lethargic/quiet when you found the lesion?
Does it penetrate the skin such that you can see muscle?
Are you seeing her bother the site at all?
Since the lesions origin is up for debate, can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
She is not bothering the site of the injury. When we found her she was not screeching at all. My son noticed. She was lethargic but soon gained strength and she even ate and drank that night .
Thank you,
While the photo isn't very well focused, that does look to be quite extensive and likely sore. So, we do need to tread with care. You will want to keep up on your cleansing routine (perhaps also flush this with dilute chlorohexidine or at least saline). As well since that looks deeper then a feather plucking, we'd have to be concerned about trauma. And if the cat had access to her and since cats often carry Pasteurella, we'd want to use a gram positive targeting antibiotic like Penicillin or Amoxicillin. Otherwise, I would be concerned that she may also need to be started on pain relief, but a safe option (since ones like aspirin could cause more harm then good) would need to be dispensed by your vet for use.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
She does have energy . How much anti biotic? For how long? This is day 3 and she is much better
Hi again,
If you think it is already healing after three days without sign of infection, you may just want to use topical care and monitor at this stage. Otherwise, when we treat infections, it does depend on what we are actually treating/facing. Generally speaking, we will treat 3-5 days and if we were using Amoxicillin the dose would be 10-15 milligrams per 100 grams of the bird's weight every 12-24 hours.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Thank you. After how many days is she out of danger?
The problem happened happened Tuesday between 3-5 pm eastern time
You are welcome,
Well we'd gage that on the state of the wound as opposed to days. So, every day it looks better healed, less puffy, and bothering her less is another day better. Tho we'd hope to have it fully healed within a week post occurrence.
Dr. B.