Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I have a African grey he was sad and I notice his Left foot

Customer Question

I have a African grey he was sad and I notice his
Left foot was swollen and he couldn't put much weight on it the following day he was just sitting at the bottom of the cage sadder so I took him to the vet and they took X-rays and found nothing they put him on pain killers and inflammatory medicine and antibiotics for infection they withdrew blood and said he had high white blood cells they have had him for 3 days now and they said he is still the same. He eats a little on his own. Now this is getting to expensive for me for nothing they ain't doing nothing for him what you think I should do
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anyone there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I asked a question 12 hours ago
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 2 years ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
Has anyone helped you yet? May I still be of assistance?
I am sorry the vets were not helpful, that is too unfortunately common. Did they mention any thin at all fro the xrays? What medications was he on? What were their thoughts on the foot?
Do you have a bird-experience vet in your community who could review his records? He needs a competent hands-on exam. I know after all that money and no results that you do not want to hear that, but a really good bird doctor might be able to find his problem and help very quickly with very moderate extra expense.
Again, unfortunately many emergency vets do not have appropriate antibiotics--if that is what he needed. Nor the experience to evaluate properly.
At his age my first guess would be trauma from a cage or toy accident. Trauma and stress can also cause high white blood cell counts in birds. Does he play rough with toys or climb around a lot?
Can you tell me more about the bird?​
How long have you had him?
Where is he from?
Any accidents or trauma? (before this, I mean)
Interactions with other birds/pets/children/guests?
What is the usual diet? has it changed recently?
Has the bird gotten into anything? Chewed electrical wires?--I have a gray, I know what they do.
If you feel comfortable with it, examine the bird thoroughly, using gentle restraint via washcloth or hand towel: do not restrict the chest or hold around the body. Check the eyes, nostrils, mouth and beak if possible, having a good look in there for mucus, redness, masses or anything else unusual. Palpate the tummy for pain, fluid, lumps or anything else (eggs, if female or unknown). Check all the joints for swelling, pain, and mobility. The feathers should be parted to view the skin, muscles and skeleton below; this can be done using a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol or KY gel. Look for bruising, lacerations, injured feathers.
He may have injured the hip, upper leg or even spine. So keeping him confined is very important.
Your job is to keep the bird warm, safe, quiet, and confined; and to provide adequate hydration and calories.
Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose. The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean. Here are some helpful links:
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/emergency-care/
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptarium-Cages