Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

We have 3 hens, one of our Americaunas is listless and has

Customer Question

we have 3 hens, one of our Americaunas is listless and has one eye that is closed, she won't come out of the coop
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you sit that hen on your lap and gently tease open that closed eye and tell me what you see? I need to differentiate simple injury to the eye from an underlying respiratory infection involving the sinus associated with the eye from a deeper eye disorder such as uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) as can be seen with Marek's disease (herpesvirus). How old is your hen, please?