Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My Umbrella Cockatoo's talon ripped off or she ripped it and…

Customer Question
My Umbrella Cockatoo's talon ripped...
My Umbrella Cockatoo's talon ripped off or she ripped it and its bleeding it happened around 545 and I applied pressure to it and put some coconut flour to stop the bleeding. its still spotting now at 1015pm she is in her cage calm. I held her for a few hours and tried the best i could to apply pressure however now she is in her cage moving around it may bleed again. I know birds dont have a lot of blood and so I am worried. I am a mom of an infant and its only me so I am trying to do things from home due to it being after hours and long waits at the emergency vet. I have a medium sized plastic dog kennel that I can put her in but i do not know what to do.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
6/4/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Bob, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the delay in getting a response to you. The overnight staff is small and there are few avian-knowledgeable veterinarians online anywhere. How is the talon doing by now? Do you still need help?

Should I place her in a pet carrier or leave her in her cage it seems if she moves around it opens again.

Hello again. I'm sorry, but the pictures you sent aren't working very well with the site, they're huge, and I can't read what you wrote. Could you repeat your reply without including the pictures? Thank you.

She is still bleeding I used coconut flour last night but as she moves in her cage it bleeds again..I can try regular flour or I have arrowroot powder she is standing on one foot and is very calm and isn't moving around but when she does it bleeds and I'm not sure if she is messing with it....she was last night. I can take her in a medium sized dog plastic kennel and take her to work with me and on my lunch take her to the vet. I can't miss work I'll get fired so I wasn't sure if that's a good idea or if I should just try to stop bleeding now until I get off work then try to take her or if I need to at all If I can get it to stop

Do you have an email I can send these photos to?

Thank you. The best way to stop bleeding in birds from superficial wounds like broken talons, broken blood feathers lacerations, etc. is the use of 5 minute super glue gel. This is applied directly to the site after dabbing away the blood. Facial tissue, paper towel or toilet paper can be used to apply pressure over the glue until it sets in approximately 30 seconds. This will form a tough blood-proof patch over the injury which will simply fall off later. The excessive paper can be wet with tap water and pulled away after the glue is dry (5 minutes). If you need faster drying, simple baking soda can be sprinkled over the super glue causing it to set instantly. This should be done immediately (before going to work) to prevent any more loss of blood. Some birds will pick at the super glue until it comes off, but it can be immediately reapplied with no problem. If you don't have the 5 minute gel, any kind of super glue will work, the gel is just the easiest to use. If you should have more questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.Kind regards, *****
P.S. the pet carrier probably isn't needed, but it may help to prevent her from re-injuring herself. Wherever you think she would be most comfortable should be fine.

I don't have super glue I've got gorilla glue but I can as I said bring her to work with me and get some

DO NOT USE GORILLA GLUE!!!!!Gorilla glue expands with moisture, has a long setup time and has a sweet taste, so animals tend to eat it. It swells with moisture inside their bodies and, if ingested in sufficient quantity, is fatal unless surgically. Get the super glue, i think you'll be amazed at how well it works. Let me know if I can be of any further help to you.Best regards, *****

I put it on her but as I was doing it she bit down there and got some glue on her tongue and beak abd is shaking her head should I be worried about that...I have her in my car to take to the vet

No, the super glue is harmless as long as she didn't get enough to glue her beak shut. Birds are tough to work with, aren't they? They always seem to know exactly the wrong thing to do and are very quick in doing it. The baking soda may be needed to set the glue up before she can get to it if you should try this again. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you. Best regards, *****
Hi Katie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Audrey. How is everything going?
Dr. Bob

I thank so sorry for the late reply she is doing better. On antibiotics and pain meds now. They had to put her under to clean and care for the wound. Thank you again for your help!

Thank you for the feedback. I'm delighted to read of her recovery. If I may be of any further assistance to you, please let me know. Warm regards, ***** *****