Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My girlfriends bird fell and we worry it has hurt its

Customer Question
Hi, my girlfriends bird fell...

Hi, my girlfriends bird fell and we worry it has hurt its head, its eye is read from where we think it hit the floor, we dont see or feel any fractures though and the bird can still perch and move around.

(BIRD IS A COCKATIEL NOT COCKATOO)

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
6/3/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Bob, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. Do you still want help with your bird?

Yes please

Okay, thank you. Sorry agin for the delay, I've been exercising here at home before work. How does the bird look now? Is the eye still red? Any unusual behavior?

Red has gone down considerably. So far behavior seems normal according to girlfriend. Little skittish but otherwise seems ok.

Excellent! He's (she's) almost certainly going to be okay. The few hours immediately after a head injury are the most critical as brain swelling can worsen the condition and even cause death. Birds are built very sturdily, and are quite able to take tramatic injuries that would probably kill a human. Keep a close eye on the bird, watching for behavioral changes and loss of appetite. Should any unusual signs be seen, it would be a very good idea to have him (her?) checked out by an avian veterinarian. If needed, you can locate those avian practices closest to your home by going online to www.aav.org/search. If you should have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you, but it may be a few minutes as I'm just now leaving to walk my dogs.Kind regards, *****
Hi Ray,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gary. How is everything going?
Dr. Bob

Everything seems to be ok! So far he has been normal and the redness has gone, thank you!

You're modst welcome! Sorry for the time lag in getting back to you, I've just returned from being out of town for the weekend. I'm delighted to read of the excellent outcome! If I may be of help to you in the future, please let me know. Warm regards, *****