Andrea Scheer
Andrea Scheer, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
76806804

I have a 3 yr old Bard Rock hen who has been a bit thin in

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr old Bard Rock hen who has been a bit thin in her keel for a while, came home from out of town and found her lethargic, abdomen seems swollen and doughy. loose stool on her back side, skin red and inflamed. She has not been laying for some time now, not thinking egg bound. Any other suggestions?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Andrea Scheer replied 2 years ago.
Hello this is Dr. Scheer and I am a mixed animal veterinarian that sees some back yard poultry.
Reading what you described, egg yolk peritonitis comes to mind. This condition occurs when a forming egg does not properly enter the shell gland and ends up spilling into the abdomen. The condition makes the hen feel very sick and they will stop laying. Treatment is to lavage the abdomen and often spay the hen which is an invasive procedure.
Less severe possibilities that could cause similar symptoms would be a bad case of bacterial enteritis ("pasty vent") or intestinal parasites. Have your birds been dewormed? Do you use Diatemaceous Earth? Is there anything in you waterers to slow bacterial growth like bleach or apple cider vinegar. The treatment for "pasty vent' is probiotics and clean the water sources. Sometimes antibiotics are needed but are not permitted in laying hens if you sell the eggs. Intestinal parasites can be treated by feeding DE or dosing with Ivermectin or panacur.
I hope that answers your question for you and I am here to discuss anything further!
~Dr. Scheer
Hi Denise,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Andrea Scheer