Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I found a nestling sparrow 4 days ago. His best was

Customer Question

.I found a nestling sparrow 4 days ago. His nest was destroyed by strong winds and rain. None of his siblings survived. I brought him in and warned him up. It has been raining since so I did not put him back outside. He will sometimes gape but not much. And he will only eat a bite or two. I have been feeding him Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula and have added a bird electrolyte and vitamin mix. I make the food with an oatmeal consistency. That is the only way he will eat it. When I made it thicker he seemed to have problems swallowing it. So today, I put him up to my ear and when he breathes it makes a crackling sound. I have called the wildlife rehabilitator here and they are overwhelmed with the flooding and he is considered a "nuisance" bird, so not a priority. I called my vet but they said they could not treat a wildlife bird. I need your help PLEASE. I don't want him to die. I do have baytril antibiotics left over from when I was sick. Not sure if that would help. Sincerely, ***** *****

Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It took waaaaay too long. He would have been dead by 5:51 this morning when I finally received an email. And that was even without an answer. The wildlife rescue people called me back, thank goodness.