Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

My mom says a loud noise scared her border canary into a molt,

Customer Question
but what I am seeing...
my mom says a loud noise scared her border canary into a molt, but what I am seeing is that the bird is unable to make any kind of noise from its mouth. many days now bird looks stressed. Could possibly have a blockage in crop?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
5/25/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you. I am sorry no other expert has taken your question. We all come online at different times, I have just logged in and saw that you have not been answered. I hope I can still be of assistance.
If he is unable to make any vocalizations, there are several possibilities, but not a blockage of the crop. Is there a specific reason you are worried about that, or the GI?
First, how is his breathing?
Diminished voice can be because the AIRWAY is blocked, and that is very serious. What you will see is obvious straining to breathe, with huge effort, and sometimes even with weird sounds.
Pneumonia is very common in canaries, and that will affect the syrincx ("voicebox") which is deep in the chest in birds. Bacterial, fungal, viral or parasitic causes are all possible.
If the molt is extensive or unusual, nutritional and endocrine issues are very possible. For example, poor nutrition can lead to enlarged thyroid, and change of voice.
And a bad stress such as fright can badly impact the immune system and make them reluctant to vocalize.
What was the loud noise? what kind of feather loss was the result?
Can you tell me more about the bird?​
How long has this been going on?
How long have you/your mother had him?
Where is he from?
Any accidents or trauma?
Interactions with other birds/pets/children/guests?
What is the usual diet? has it changed recently?
Has the bird gotten into anything?
What kind of cage, bedding in the bottom, perches, etc?
What kind of sleep cycle?
These signs are of a very sick bird, and not specific to any one disease. And that means it is not fair to you or the bird to guess, there are so many possibilities.You are going to need local help on this, and a scientific and solid diagnosis to find safe and effective treatment.
The challenge is to find out exactly what is going on, since treatment will depend on careful and accurate diagnosis.
Without a diagnosis, I cannot recommend any particular course of treatment, except good nursing care at home.
If you feel comfortable with it, examine the bird thoroughly, using gentle restraint via washcloth or hand towel: do not restrict the chest or hold around the body. Check the eyes, nostrils, mouth and beak if possible, having a good look in there for mucus, redness, masses or anything else unusual. Palpate the tummy for pain, fluid, lumps or anything else (eggs, if female or unknown). Check all the joints for swelling, pain, and mobility. The feathers should be parted to view the skin, muscles and skeleton below; this can be done using a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol or KY gel. Look for bruising, lacerations, injured feathers.
Your job is to keep the bird warm, safe, quiet, and confined; and to provide adequate hydration and calories.
Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose. The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean. Here are some helpful links:
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/emergency-care/
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/
Pet/feed store medications and home remedies are harmful, ineffective, immuno-suppressive, and make them much worse and may interfere with the veterinarian's diagnosis and treatment. Do not use them. Homeopathy and natureopathic techniques do not work in avians and can actually be very dangerous.
I know it is expensive, but you may not have many home options, because the first thing you need a vet for is to find out what is going on. Treatment is only as good as the diagnosis. If you call around, you may find a vet to work within your means.
I really must stress that you need a bird-experienced person, and not just a vet who advertises that they care for birds. You need to take your bird to see an avian-experienced veterinarian ASAP for complete examination, diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Check
https://aav.site-ym.com/?page=basiccare
click on "find a vet"
http://aav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=1803
He may need injectable fluids, calcium, antibiotics and many other medications. Act quickly and good luck.
Here are a few suggestions that I give everyone: important!
The following guidelines help with basic issues such as nutrition, obesity, good immune status. Surprising how the following can make a bird healthy, and how infrequently birds are ill if they are on the following regimen. No amount of medicine is going to work if the birds' basic needs are not met.
​great resource link:​
http://www.mickaboo.org/resources
Canaries should be on a high-quality, preferably prescription, pelleted diet: I prefer
High-potency Harrison'
shttp://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/products/harrisons.html
TOP
http://totallyorganics.com/t-pellets
In addition, they should be offered dark leafy greens, cooked sweet potatoes, yams, squash, pumpkin; entire (tops and bottoms) fresh carrots and so forth. No seeds (and that means a mix, or millet, or sprays, etc. etc.) and only healthy, low-fat high fiber people food. A dietary change should be closely monitored and supervised by your avian vet.
Daily Maintenance
Birds should get 12-14 hours dark, quiet, uninterrupted sleep at night. Any less and they can suffer from sleep deprivation and associated illnesses. They should be covered or their cage placed in a dark room that is not used after they go to bed.
The cage material should be cleaned everyday, and twice a day if the bird is really messy. Paper towels, newspaper, bath towels are ok. Never use corn cob, sawdust, wood chips, or walnut shell. Food and water dishes should be cleaned and changed daily. Keep one set cleaned while the other is in use.
Fresh, perishable food should be placed in separate food bowls. Remove fresh food from the cage after a couple of hours to avoid spoilage. Change cage papers daily, and clean the grate and tray weekly.
Clean food debris or droppings from toys and perches as needed (which can be as often as once a day).
Grit is not necessary for birds, and will cause digestive problems and death. The best sources of minerals (and vitamins) are leafy greens. Never give grit, gravel sandpaper or cement perches. A bird will eat those to excess when it is not feeling well or if there is a nutritional deficiency. They do not need it at all (an old myth from the poultry days, even poultry do not need it). It can cause an impaction and lead to serious or fatal consequences.
Useful links:
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/education/
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/education/species-specific/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian