Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have 16 guinea keets, a little over 1 week old. Just came

Customer Question

I have 16 guinea keets, a little over 1 week old. Just came home from town to find one dead. :-( I have been feeding them turkey starter and filtered water, and a little bit of gro-gel plus B. I'm worried others might not make it. They seem to be acting the same, except some droppings look a little more orange and watery. ??
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, this death can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests and physical exams to differentiate. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org). The proper protocol is to have a newly dead or particularly sickly bird sacrificed to be necropsied whenever you have a significant at risk flock.
It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of the bird's financial value to your operation, however. Although some services might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one keet.
Please take a look at this site: http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/ to see if you can detect a management issue which might have predisposed to the death and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

bigislandvet