Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bubble eye/mayoplasma is there an herbal way to treat

Bubble eye/mayoplasma is there an...

Bubble eye/mayoplasma is there an herbal way to treat. Second time around, have used Tarlan antibiotic, and injected twice. Need to know if I can get them cleared up, hopefully with herbs and still when cleared up can we eat eggs, and how do I treat new hatches to prevent.

8/24/2013
DrTaus
DrTaus, Bird Veterinarian
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you are battling Mycoplasma in your flock. How frustrating! Unfortunately, it's a very stubborn bug, and once birds are infected, they carry the organism around with them for life.

The Tylan that your vet prescribed is great for getting the birds over clinical symptoms of being ill. However, antibiotics don't kill off the Mycoplasma entirely. They suppress it to the point that the bird's immune system can keep it under control. If the bird becomes stressed (bad weather, ammonia from feces in the coop, new birds coming in, etc) they can get sick again. The new hatches will be exposed from your current birds.

The best way to get rid of it entirely is to not hatch new birds until your current flock has lived its life. Disinfect the coop, wait 2 weeks, then introduce new birds. Mycoplasma doesn't live long in the environment. Hens transmit Mycoplasma to chicks before the eggs are laid, so there is no way to prevent an infected bird from laying infected eggs.

Crushed garlic or apple cider vinegar have been used with limited success in feed to help support the immune system and keep outbreaks of the bubbles around the eyes and the sinusitis chickens get with this illness under control.

The good news is, there isn't a human health risk with Mycoplasma. You can eat the eggs, and as long as you are following the vet's dosage directions for the antibiotic, you should be able to eat the eggs as soon as the treatment is complete.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
DrTaus
DrTaus, Bird Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrTaus