Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

My 40 year-old African Grey parrot fell seems to have had a

Customer Question
stroke (left side)--2 weeks ago...
My 40 year-old African Grey parrot fell seems to have had a stroke (left side)--2 weeks ago, he lost balance on one side and fell to bottom of cage. Since then his appetite is not as good; speech is only one word (his name), and last night he fell again. I picked him up and cuddled and soothed him for 3 hours. His breathing was ragged and he seemed dazed.

After 3 hours of cuddling and soothing, I put him into the bottom of his cage and fed him water in small dish by hand. I feared to find him dead this morning at 5:00 am, but he had crawled to his top perch. Again I hand fed food (no interest) and water (he drank).
Several times during the day, I stroked and offered food and drink. This afternoon (4:00) he fell to bottom of cage. I had a meeting I had to attend, so I soothed him as best I could and left. On return (2 hours later) he was on the middle wooden perch in his cage.

Please help me know what to do. He is terrified to be taken by car anywhere, but I will wrap him in a towel and carry him my arms with someone else driving if you advise. Who shall I take him to?

Thank you so much for your help.

MHB Conant, Seattle [email protected]
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
4/13/2012
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

When you see him fall what does he do immediately after that does he twitch or just lie there stunned etc.? Does he seem dazed every time he falls?

Dr. Dan
He seems dazed; once he sort of flapped his wing ( trying to recover I thought). His eyes dilate and he seems frightened (or perhaps I'm just projecting). Last night as I held him he was hyperventilating, and at one point I thought perhaps I heard a gurgle and feared pneumonia.

MHB
When his eyes dilate do they stay that way for a while or is it just for a second or so? Does he seem drunk at any point or does he twist or tilt his head?

Dr. Dan

MHB

Dan,

His eyes stay dilated.

Yes, he does twist his head; I thought perhaps as in human stroke, he lost vision in the eye on the effected side. And I wondered if perhaps he has had several infarcs (small strokes) that effect his speech over the past few months.

Thank you so much for helping me!

MHB

Well this could actually be better news, I think this sounds like vertigo. This is due to the nerve being irritated that deals with balance. This irritation can be due to stroke, trauma, virus, bacteria, or no obvious reason. Dizzy birds tilt their head like you are seeing (called torticollis) and have trouble with their balance. What you need to do right now is to take all the perches out of the cage and put a thick towel and even cloth nest in the bottom of the cage. Bring the food and water down to him as well which I understand you've tried but they should still be close. Have him seen by the vet in the morning to check for an ear infection as well as cholesterol levels and his heart to make sure it is just vertigo and to rule out seizures which can be very similar in symptoms to vertigo. Some of thecause can be treated, fortunately if it's just the nerve irritation by itself usually with time it will pass on its own as long as we get him eating again. It's definitely worth it to take him to the vet! To help find the nearest avian vet use this website: http://www.aav.org/search/index.php

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian

THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX THANK , Dr. Dan. I will take him to a vet tomorrow.

With a grateful heart,

MHB
Good luck to you both!
How did the appointment with your vet go concerning your african grey?
Vet examined bird (throat, heart, ears) and took blood to test. He has lost weight (I knew because he has felt smaller and is not eating well for a week. She rushed the blood for analysis and called me yesterday (Saturday) with a prescription for anti-biotic due to very high white cell count indicative of infection.
She is kind and has 2 greys herself--very reassuring.

Thank you for your follow-up.
I'm glad to hear that you and the vet are making progress.

Good luck!
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian