Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

Why does new carpet smell harm cockatiels,and how do you

Customer Question
Why does new carpet smell...
Why does new carpet smell harm cockatiels,and how long do you have to wait in a new carpeted room before you could bring them back?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/29/2011
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Hello!
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
The smell in new carpet is due to volatile organic compounds and formaldehyde. These can take several days to air out and each brand and style of carpeting will have different lengths of time it takes before all the compounds have "aired out." Usually the manufacturer of the carpet is the best source for how long to wait. Another rule of thumb (although crude) is to wait 2 days passed when humans in the house no longer, sneeze, have headaches or react to the smell. This can take many days. If possible put him in a separate well ventilated room if you can't get him out of the house. Right now there is no actual PROOF that the smell is harmful just a lot of guesses and assumptions... however better safe than sorry.
I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
I have seen entire families including dogs, cats and birds affected by new carpet syndrome so severely that humans were hospitalized and pets died. I take this potential toxin to be very serious indeed. Contacting the manufacturer is often frustrating and filled with mis-information, as these are hard to prove (but very obvious problems nevertheless) cases. And the manufacturers have no idea as to bird metabolism and susceptibility to carpet toxin fumes. they are required to do toxin testing (usually on quail) but not necessarily with the fumes. So it is generally as waste of valuable time trying to pry information from them. In the above case I mentioned, it took 6 years and court costs to just have the money for carpet removal to be reimbursed.

What I have been told is to have a reputable and trust-worthy carpet cleaning company come in and do a "de-tox" cleaning. This helps but does not remove the entire threat. In the meantime, remove the bird immediately to another home. If you can smell it, it could be fatal to your bird. You are very correct to be concerned. I home my answer did not come too late.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.I have seen entire families including dogs, cats and birds affected by new carpet syndrome so severely that humans were hospitalized and pets died. I take this potential toxin to be very serious indeed. Contacting the manufacturer is often frustrating and filled with mis-information, as these are hard to prove (but very obvious problems nevertheless) cases. And the manufacturers have no idea as to bird metabolism and susceptibility to carpet toxin fumes. they are required to do toxin testing (usually on quail) but not necessarily with the fumes. So it is generally as waste of valuable time trying to pry information from them. In the above case I mentioned, it took 6 years and court costs to just have the money for carpet removal to be reimbursed.What I have been told is to have a reputable and trust-worthy carpet cleaning company come in and do a "de-tox" cleaning. This helps but does not remove the entire threat. In the meantime, remove the bird immediately to another home. If you can smell it, it could be fatal to your bird. You are very correct to be concerned. I home my answer did not come too late.
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian