I HAVE OWNED THREE EX-BATTERY HENS SINCE DECEMBER 2009. ONE OF THEM HAS BEEN OBVIOUSLY ILL SINCE THIS MORNING. SHE IS

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer:

I HAVE OWNED THREE EX-BATTERY HENS SINCE DECEMBER 2009. ONE OF THEM HAS BEEN OBVIOUSLY ILL SINCE THIS MORNING. SHE IS THROWING UP WATER AND THE ODD MEAL WORM. SHE HAS A SWELLING AT THE TOP OF HER ESOPHAGUS. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HELP HER. I HAVE PUT HER IN A BOX WITH STRAW AND AM KEEPING AN EYE ON HER. PLEASE CAN YOU HELP? MANY THANKS CHRISTINA XXXXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dave in 4 days 11 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Dave
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I just logged on after a long hiatus. Do you still need help with your chicken?
Customer

YES. SHE IS STILL NOT WELL. SHE IS DRINKING WATER BUT NOT EATING. WE GAVE HER SOME WATER YESTERDAY MIXED WITH GARLIC PASTE TO SEE IF THAT WOULD HELP. A FRIEND WHO KEEPS CHICKENS SUGGESTED THAT WE DID THIS. SHE DID DRINK SOME OF IT. SHE IS PUFFED OUT ALL THE TIME AS THOUGH SHE IS COLD, SO WE ARE KEEPING HER IN THE KITCHEN WHICH HAS A COOL CLAY TILE FLOOR, WHICH IS BETTER THAN BEING OUT IN THE COLD AND DAMP WEATHER. SHE IS INCLINED TO JUST STAY PERCHED OR STANDING IN THE ONE POSITION AND DOES NOT WALK AROUND MUCH. I AM HAPPY TO TAKE HER TO OUR VET BUT THEY DON'T SEEM TO KNOW MUCH ABOUT CHICKENS. MANY THANKS

With this type of bird a reproductive problem is the issue until proven otherwise. I would try to get her to a veterinarian that has experience with birds. They may be able to palpate a reproductive mass and if not recommend x-rays to look for problems within the body cavity. The swelling in the neck is of concern. I would definitely have her examined as that could be a sign of an infectious disease as well.

As sad as this sounds, if this is a leghorn that was bred to be a commercial egg machine they don't generally live much longer than 3 years. They have been developed to crank out eggs as fast as possible without concern for the condition of the bird itself.

I'll check in tomorrow and see if you have any additional questions.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Dave
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Dave
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.