WE have a male English Budgie Parakeet, 10 months old and generally in excellent health. All of a sudden, about two

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: WE have a male English Budgie Parakeet, 10 months old and generally in excellent health. All of a sudden, about two hours ago, he has developed foot problems. He is constantly "chewing" at his feet and has to let go of the cage bars as he is climbing in order to chew at one foot or the other. Because he lets go with one foot, often he falls to the bottom of the cage. What is causing this foot irritation and can we do anything for him to relieve the itch or pain he is experiencing?
Answered by Dr. Pat in 19 hours 11 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Pat
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.

Catch him in a thin wash cloth and really check out those feet. There may be a problem somewhere else, and he is directing his efforts at his feet, so check the undersides of the wings and the tail as well. Wash his feet carefully with warm (NOT hot) water. You can apply plain aloe vera gel but do not use anything else.

Move the bird to an aquarium, box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. Go to this link for some ideas. He may be uncomfortable about the washing so be patient.

Take out all the perches, bowls and toys and wash them with warm water and mild dish detergent. Rinse them thoroughly. Check that no one used household bleach or cleaners on them. Dump any corn cob or other material in the bottom tray and clean it thoroughly. Replace with white paper towels (never use that other stuff). Check with all members of the household to see if he landed on a heater or had any other traumatic encounters.

There is a really unlikely possibility that he is having tingling sensations from nerve damage to the spine, hips, legs. They can also weird behavior prior to a seizure; so keep a close eye on him and take him in if these basic procedures do not help.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Pat
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Pat
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.