Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

chicken: one year old..AM...has diarrhea..herself..laying down…

Customer Question
We have a one year...
We have a one year old Orpington chicken that became lethargic this AM...has diarrhea has isolated herself from the flock (total of 8 birds). is laying down, but has started to drink quite frequently over the past two hours. No unusual respiratory noises or apparent distress.

Much appreciate a suggestion

Mark Moss, Whitingham VT
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
8/21/2010
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Coldiron, Bird Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Coldiron
Dr. Coldiron, Bird Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Coldiron and I will attempt to answer your bird question. Mark, I would be very suspicious of a bacterial or parasitic infection. Since this bird is having diarrhea, a bacterial gastrointestinal infection would be my first concern. E. coli (which is often a normal inhabitant of the GI tract) can proliferate if given an ample opportunity and this can cause severe diarrhea, dehydration and even death. It is good that she is drinking and I think your idea of isolating her is smart. Since you are not seeing any evidence of worms, this is good, but it does not entirely elliminate them from being a possibility. I would suggest you start with an antibiotic if possible. You should consult with your vet on this, but doxycycline mixed with her water would most likely do the trick if it is not already too late. As for the possibility of parasites, you might want to look into a broad spectrum dewormer and use it on her and all of the other birds.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Coldiron

Dr. Coldiron
Dr. Coldiron, Bird Veterinarian
Dr. Coldiron
Dr. Coldiron
Dr. Coldiron, Bird Veterinarian