Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

I am raising mallard and pekin ducks since hatched. They are

Customer Question
10 weeks old now and...
I am raising mallard and pekin ducks since hatched. They are 10 weeks old now and the mallards are flying to the pond each morning when I let them out of their pen. Today however, my dog got one of the mallards as he was landing near the pond bank. He bit into its back on either side of the backbone exposing a wound. He is not walking properly but seems to fall onto its side. Is this a possible nerve injury that will leave the duck partially paralyzed? I have him back in his pen alone but he is not moving. Any advise would be appreciated.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
7/21/2010
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Steph, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Steph
Dr. Steph, Veterinarian
Hello! I am so sorry to hear that your duck got attacked. I have seen many ducks attacked by dogs and recovery for the most part has been good, but it can be hit or miss. Ducks tend to be heartier than other bird species in my experience, but birds still are very fragile animals. It is possible that your duck has suffered from a nerve injury or he may simply be in pain. If he has suffered a nerve injury, it may be weeks to months before you see improvement, if any.

Would you be opposed to taking your duck to a veterinarian?

I really was trying to avoid a large vet bill and didn't feel it necessary to go to that level. If I can't adequately nurse him back to a reasonable healthy duck I would probably let nature takes its course. I have too many ducks to rescue everyone that gets injured. I have already lost one two weeks ago from the same dog. I'm sure this won't be the last time he tries to get a duck again. Although, the duck is responding better tonight and is eating and drinking water. I placed him in the laundry sink full of water and he seemed to enjoy getting his weight off his injuries.

Thanks for responding any additional help would be appreciated.

If you want to give him something for pain, if you can find pediatric (children's) ibuprofen you can use that or aspirin. Aspirin would have to be mixed in water, though and would likely make the water taste bad and the bird wouldn't drink it. The children's ibuprofen comes in liquid form and you could give it orally.

You can also find tetracycline (an antibiotic) at farm supply stores to put in water for him. Just follow the directions on the package.

If you need dosage on any of these, just ask - I won't charge you for the answers.
Dr. Steph
Dr. Steph, Veterinarian
If you are satisfied with the answer, please click on the green accept button.
Dr. Steph
Dr. Steph
Dr. Steph, Veterinarian