Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My yellow naped amazon tangled her claw on a rope toy (I think…

Customer Question
My yellow naped amazon tangled...
My yellow naped amazon tangled her claw on a rope toy (I think overnight). I cut her loose, but it was bleeding, probably because she tried to untangle herself. She is pretty much standing on one leg now and I just wanted to know what (if anything) I could do to help her heal correctly. I cannot tell if she broke anything. is there any type of medication to apply to her claw? I believe the bleeding has stopped now.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
6/28/2010
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
First, make ABSOLUTELY certain that there are no more fibers around the toe: they may be deeply imbedded in the wound. They have to come off or she will lose the toe. If she was hanging for a good part of the night, she could have injured more than the toe. It is very common that they suffer leg, hip, pelvis, spinal, wing, chest, head and even internal injuries from a hanging accident. Check her over the entire body. Watch droppings, posture, appetite and attitude. Watch all the toes for swelling or change in color or grip.

Move the bird to an aquarium, box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that she can reach easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Keep her partially covered, warm and quiet.

She needs to see an avian-experienced veterinarian ASAP for complete examination, diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Check the link http://www.aav.org/association/index.php?content=activeMembersList for members of AAV in your area or call your regular vet and see who they recommend; ask if they really have worked with birds a lot. She may need more fibers to be removed, or pain medication (for these kind of injuries I usually select ibuprofen, but talk to your vet);
pet/feed store medications and home remedies are harmful, ineffective, immuno-suppressive, and make them much worse and may interfere with the veterinarian's diagnosis and treatment. Do not use them.
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Thank you for your response - I very much appreciate it. I will find an Avian veterinarian asap. I know that when I noticed the bird tangled, she was standing on her perch while the other claw was tangled on the rope. Right now she responds (this bird talks A LOT, even sings full verse/chorus of "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'round the Old oak tree," by Tony Orlando and Dawn) but her voice is a little more subdued than normal when she says Hi, hello, how are you.
I think it wise to have her examined. It is a very traumatic incident. Good luck.