Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My budgie is hunching over and has some droppings stuck to…

My budgie is hunching over...
My budgie is hunching over and has some droppings stuck to her bottom. Do I get her to a vet asap, or is there something I can do for her at home?
6/28/2010
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Yes, you should get her to the vet, but first you can help her out a bit. Remove the droppings by pulling them off, feathers and all. There is no easy way to do this. Then clean the vent and skin below with warm water and a soft cloth. You can apply plain aloe vera gel, but do not use anything else. She may have an enteritis, or even reproductive problems. But this will keep her a little more comfortable until you can get her in.

Move the bird to an aquarium, box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that she can reach easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Keep her partially covered, warm and quiet.

Pet/feed store medications and home remedies are harmful, ineffective, immuno-suppressive, and make them much worse and may interfere with the veterinarian's diagnosis and treatment. Do not use them.

She needs to see an avian-experienced veterinarian ASAP for complete examination, diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Check the link http://www.aav.org/association/index.php?content=activeMembersList for members of AAV in your area or call your regular vet and see who they recommend; ask if they really have worked with birds a lot.

If she were my patient, I would start with complete fecal analysis and direct smear, for multiple parasites; bacterial culture and sensitivity of the feces and choana. Depending on the case I might do a fungal culture. Routine blood work is necessary to rule out other issues. Generally I start them out on antibiotics as indicated by the tests (I use a lot of human antibiotics that are injectable).

She may need injectable antibiotics, calcium, and many other medications. Act quickly and good luck.
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
You are welcome. Good luck.
Dr. Pat...just wanted you to know that I got the bird to a vet the next day, she got meds, and is all better now. Thanks again. Nadia.
Happy news!