Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

We have a bird in the garden which we dont think is a chick.

Customer Question
We have a bird in...
We have a bird in the garden which we don't think is a chick. It is fully feathered with a developing yellow beak. It is sitting in the waterfall of our pond and seems to just sleep out in the open. A fox came over the fence and the bird was unaware that it was there. The bird seems very fat, but very lethargic and it seems strange to us that it is this calm out in the open. We can virtually walk right up to it but we do not want to panic the poor thing. When it comes down from the waterfall it does not use its wings to balance but just seems to nose dive. Please can you advise us on what to do. Many thanks
Mrs. Ella Clark
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
6/26/2010
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Move the bird to an aquarium, box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that he can reach easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Keep him partially covered, warm and quiet.

You can upload a picture using the tree icon in the menu bar. If you have a wildlife care/rescue center in your area, you should contact them to come and pick up the baby for proper identification, care and hopefully release (if wild) or placement (if domestic).
Unfortunately the bird died two hours after we rescued it. We did put it in a box on soft bedding but to no avail. Thankyou.
I am sorry to hear that.