Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I brought home the pet budgie from the nursing home where I…

Customer Question
I brought home the pet...
I brought home the pet budgie from the nursing home where I work. He is sitting on the bottom of his cage with his head twiching to the right and back to midline again. No visible injuries. I am told that this bird is 10 years old.....Is he actively dying? I did give him a syringe of water very slowy, approximately 10 cc... What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
6/25/2010
Bird Veterinarian: ukexoticvet, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
ukexoticvet
ukexoticvet, Veterinarian
If your bird is sat on the floor of the cage not moving, then he is very poorly and needs to see a vet asap. Birds hide their symptoms until they are very ill, so as soon as you notice something wrong you should get him checked over. Syringing him some water is ok as long as it is very slowly done and he drinks from the syringe. Don't force him to drink or he could end up inhaling the water.