Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

does a male canary ever build a nest and sit on it like he

does a male canary ever build a nest and sit on it like he is incubating eggs?? my canary
has has stated this behavior. he a single canary in the cage. since he was picking at the cage paper, i put the nesting strings in and he spends lots of time in the nest. thanks,

XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
Hi Sandra,
Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry no one has gotten to your question until now. As far as a male canary building a nest - Sometimes he will help to build one but its the female who does a majority of the work arranging it. I would be curious that this guy may not be a guy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have suspected this---but do females sing??? until he got sick, he sang his little heart out. how can I tell the sex myself?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Usually it is the males that sing. Here is a good link that explains how to sex them. It is very difficult I will say.

http://www.avianweb.com/sexingcanaries.html