I have a chicken with a lump on its chest and its full of grain is there anything i can do to dislodge it thanks clare

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: i have a chicken with a lump on its chest and its full of grain is there anything i can do to dislodge it thanks clare
Answered by Dr. Dave in 1 hour 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Dave
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Has your chicken stopped eating? Has her activity level decreased?
Customer
yes it is more lethargic but its still eating abit but as i said its full of grain you can see the grain through the lump
This kind of condition can be caused by infection, parasites, lead ingestion, a physical obstruction, and also a disease called Marek's disease.

The best thing to do would be to have the chick examined by a veterinarian to see if one of the above conditions are present. Until you can get to a veterinarian, withhold food for 12 hours and tube with some water to soften the grain to see if it will pass.

Unfortunately if this is Marek's disease there is no treatment.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Dave
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Dave
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.