Day before yesterday i noticed that my 22 yr old Quaker parrot's beak looked oddly swollen and discolored...her eyes

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hi...day before yesterday i noticed that my 22 yr old Quaker parrot's beak looked oddly swollen and discolored...her eyes looked small and dull and she was quite wobbly, sitting with feathers fluffed...i immediately checked for a water bottle malfunction, but found it working satisfactorily...noting that her food dish was still full from an earlier feeding, i pulled her out for examination and was shocked to feel her weightless and bony...i am a theatrical costume designer and have long late hours for several weeks and then several weeks off...unfortunately, this is one of my long/late week periods, so my attention has been limited to food, water and cleaning, with no time left for hands on...i have no idea when this may have begun :( her beak looks like a citrus "blood orange", in color, and she will not drink or eat on her own...i am hand feeding every 2 hrs with Exact hand feeding formula, which she willingly takes from my finger...she will only take one, or two, small beakfuls of water...in looking at her, it seems her beak is slightly maladjusted, or misaligned and i'm wondering if those darn sunflower seeds could be the culprit, or perhaps a vitamin deficiency? she is being kept, comfortably, in a secure, well ventilated, cardboard box on a warm heating pad with a constant temp of about of about 77...i gently roll her head and drip water into the side of her beak where she does swallow some of it, and hand feed her about a 1.5 teaspoons of the Exact formula (making sure it's plenty moist and barely clings to my finger) i am seeing improvements and she has begun to talk again, but not enthusiastically as before...her eyes have brightened and she is standing now, but the beak still looks swollen and tender (no blood other than what seems to be accumulation under the tissue at the beak edges) i'm wondering what your thoughts are, and whether i should seek out a new avian vet (the last one i used, was unsatisfactory, and there aren't many to chose from in San Antonio, TX)...
Answered by Dr. Pat in 49 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Pat
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

She is in very very serious trouble. It may not be important what the diagnosis is at this point, she is in total organ failure right now--an EMERGENCY. I am sorry you had a bad experience, there are several vets in San Antonio that work with birds. You might check Austin as well. She absolutely must get in, her life is in danger.

Check the link http://www.aav.org/association/index.php?content=activeMembersList for members of AAV in your area or call your regular vet and see who they recommend.

Pet/feed store medications are harmful, ineffective, immuno-suppressive, and make them much worse and may interfere with the veterinarian's diagnosis and treatment. Do not use them.

She is going to need veterinary intervention; injectable fluids, antibiotics, tube feeding, oxygen therapy and many other medications to save her life. Act quickly and good luck.
Customer

i just checked on her and she is up walking around, which she hasn't done since finding her in this state...her beak is regaining it's more normal appearance, and she drank a little, on her own, from her water bottle...since you believe it to be organ failure, will feeding and drinking further the situation, before i can get her into the vet? i have a show starting this evening and have no choice but to be on hand for final adjustments

:( :( :( i am taking her with me to my studio, but cannot get her to an avian vet until late this afternoon...i've had my friend for 22 yrs and am fraught with guilt, worry and sadness over the possible loss.

beth

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Pat
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Pat
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.