Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.
10379358

my 17 yr. old cockatiel has a growth on his wing, looks like

my 17 yr. old cockatiel has a growth on his wing, looks like a ballooning of the skin

Hi there

This actually sounds like it could be a 'cyst' which is a collection of fluid under the skin- antibiotics will have no effect on it.

To confirm if this is the case take him to your vet for an 'FNA'-fine needle aspirate- and if clear fluid is withdrawn then it is a cyst- which he should be able to live with without it causing him an issue.

To find an avian vet in the US go to www.aav.org and use the 'find a vet in my area' link on the left of the screen.

Regards Andrea

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Andrea,
Thanks for helping. I live in Canada so where might I find a website for that? Tigger doesn't seem to be bothered at all, except he preens a lot there, and picks at dried blood where feathers have unsuccessfully tried to come out. His appetite is strong and he has a respiratory problem which is why I'm treating him with antibiotics, to which he usually responds very well to.
Thanks again.
Warren MacDonald

try www.birdsnways.com/articles/abvpets.htm which lists some certified vets in Canada at the bottom of the list.

If it doesn't bother him then it may be best to leave the lump well alone- but an FNA will at least give peace of mind that its nothing to be worried about.

All the best Andrea

The www.aav.org site does have some Canadian vets listed