Hi I have a budgie whom I am not sure if he is really sick or not. He is hunched slightly, has blood feathers (small

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi I have a budgie whom I am not sure if he is really sick or not. He is hunched slightly, has blood feathers (small amount on the hunch of it's back) and his abdomen is swollen. I am not sure if it's pregnant or really sick. I have had it for a couple of years now and regularly clean the cage, spray for mites and worm/vitamise the water as per instructions on the bottles. What do you suggest?

Andrea
Western Australia
Answered by Andrea Roberts in 8 hours 12 years ago
imglogo
Andrea Roberts
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hi there

If this is a female bird, and it is hunched up, with a swollen abdomen, and is 'tail bobbing' (so raising the tail frequently) then its probably egg bound.

This is a form of cramp, and is usually a result of calcium deficiency, but can also be brought on by stress.

Firstly, increase the calcium in the diet- you can buy supplements such as 'Nutrobal' or 'Calcivet' which are very good, secondly be sure the bird is kept warm (not a problem in W. Australia i'm sure) and thirdly, you can insert a few drops of warmed olive oil into the vent to try and lubricate passage of the egg.

If there is any doubt about if she's a female, or if she's not eating, or seems to get worse, then take her to see your vet asap, as egg binding can be fatal if left untreated.

Regards Andrea

Customer

Thanks. I had a feeling it might have been egg bound. I will try your remedies and see how we go. It also has lots of blood feathers which i have been plucking out, not sure why it's getting these, but it seems to have a lot. Do you know what this is from???? or what I can do about it.

Thanks so much, really appreciate your time.

I don't really know much about blood feathers so i'm going to 'opt out' and see if another expert can help with this issue.
Customer
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Hi I have a budgie whom I am not sure if he is really sick or not. He is hunched slightly, has blood feathers (small amount on the hunch of it's back) and his abdomen is swollen. I am not sure if it's pregnant or really sick. I have had it for a couple of years now and regularly clean the cage, spray for mites and worm/vitamise the water as per instructions on the bottles. What do you suggest? Andrea Western Australia

Optional Information:
Type of Animal: Budgie
Gender: Not sure
Age: 2.5 years

Already Tried:
vitamising and worming in the water for 24 hours, then re-doing this again in 2 weeks. I have cleaned it's abdomen numerous amount of times with warm water and salt. Abdomen seems swollen, but not sure if it is pregnant (as shares with 2 males, 1 female died about 6 months ago as had cancer lump on it's leg) or if it is sick.

It also has lots of blood feathers which i have been plucking out, not sure why it's getting these, but it seems to have a lot. Do you know what this is from???? or what I can do about it.

Hello:

To finish answering your question: blood feathers are new feathers which, once they are fully formed. lose their blood supply and outer sheath, and turn into the beautiful feathers which you see. They are most obvious on the wings and tail.

You may be describing 'pin' feathers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_feather) , which are basically the same thing but on a smaller scale, and cover the body and limbs. It would be more helpful to your bird if you let them come in. You can mist her daily with warm water.

I would suggest that you take her to the vet (www.aav.org/vet-lookup) ASAP, as she sounds rather critical to me. While you are waiting, increase the room temp (to around 80 degrees F (27C) if she can tolerate it - watch for overheating: panting, wings spread etc.), increase the humidity. If needed, move her to a plastic bin (makeshift hospital cage) with a padded bottom. Lastly, hand-feed juicy fruits,like small pieces of cut grapes or melon, and soft foods like warmed scrambled egg in addition to her usual favorites. Offer plain water without any vitamins or other additives.

I hope this helps and answers your question. If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the green ACCEPT icon. If you have more questions about this problem, please press 'reply'. Bonuses and feedback are always appreciated. Thank-you.

Good-Luck,

Dr. Lisa

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Andrea Roberts
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
Andrea Roberts
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.