Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

8 month old buf orpington chicken in bird hospital. She had…

Customer Question
8 month old buf orpington...
8 month old buf orpington chicken in bird hospital. She had 2 operations since last Saturday. First to empty crop, large amount of hay taken out. She still did not produce a stool and was tube fed and crop would not empty. Second operation vet explored a little and opened her gizzard which he noticed was the size of 2 golfballs, a large amount of hay was inside. Vet removed hay. Since gizzard was emptied she started to produce a small amount of stool, and crop is slow to empty. Vet says there should be more stools produced. What are we missing?? Does she just need time, or is there something else we can try? Could there be a blockage somewhere else? ANY suggestions would be appreciated. If you have any knowledge or stories about a chicken having this problem please share, DESPERATE! Running out of time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/19/2009
Bird Veterinarian: DrMaryP, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
DrMaryP
DrMaryP, Veterinarian

Hi. I will try to help you with this question. Do you know if the crop was checked to make sure she didn't have a "sour crop," or an acidic crop? This can affect motility. The other thing I would like to know was a biopsy done of the gizzard to determine if their was anything wrong with the gizzard itself, such as proventricular dilatation disorder? Was she checked for intestinal parasites? These would be things to ask of the vet.

Of course, it will take time for healing to occur, and the gizzard is a very thick organ. Is she eating? Are you force feeding her? You may need to force feed for a little while but have her crop checked first for pH. I'm sure the vet would have checked these things but I want to make sure we don't miss anything.

I hope this information has been helpful. Best wishes to you and your little buff.

Dr. Mary

She is being tube fed forcefully. Thursday I visited her and she produced stool, but vet says there should be more frequency. Do you think she needs to recover more before stools return to normal? Vet said there was a LOT of hay that he took out of her and pieces of braided string. This is day 8, I'm concerned there is still a blockage. What would you do, I want to do everything I can.
Just spoke to vet, he is going to do another surgery. This one will cover the intestines to look for a possible blockage. I know he tested her crop and did blood work, he also checked her for yeast, everything there was ok. She has elevated white count.

Yes, if those bases have been covered then another surgery would be in order. I would also make sure a biopsy is submitted to look for potential causes other than a blockage.

I hope things turn out well this time around! Take care.

Dr. Mary

DrMaryP
DrMaryP, Veterinarian
I will let you know the outcome for future reference. Thank you

Thanks to you. Best wishes.

Dr. Mary

DrMaryP
DrMaryP
DrMaryP, Veterinarian