Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

My parakeet has an egg stuck. It is almost out but stuck at

Customer Question
My parakeet has an egg...
My parakeet has an egg stuck. It is almost out but stuck at the end. She has had some blood loss. We have no bird vets near us. I've made her comfortable and put her in a warm calm environment. Ive put olive oil at the site and have put some Gatorade in her water. Is there anything else I can do? I'm worried sick.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2009
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Lisa, Small Animal/Avian Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Small Animal/Avian Veterinarian

Hello:

You are very much on the right track.

If the egg is still stuck and she will let you, take a cotton ball drenched in warm water and hold it against the cloaca where it meets the egg. Once the tissue seems to be moistened, gently, with a Q-tip soaked in KY Jelly (if available), oil if not, rim the edge around the cloaca (her 'vent') where it is stuck to the egg. if she struggles too much with this, just put her in a plastic tub/aquarium, with soft padding to sit on, and increase the room temp to 80-90 degrees F (27 C),. Increase the humidity to make the room almost steamy, and put her food and water close. Please give her fresh, pure water. You may give her a few drops of pedialyte/gatorade into the corner of her beak every few hours.

if she doesn't pass the egg in a few hours she needs to see a vet as this is a medical emergency. here is a site to help you find one: www.aav.org/vet-lookup . If this fails, start calling all the local hospitals and BEG.

Your bird is depending on you.

I hope this helps and answers your question. If you have more questions about this problem, please press 'reply'. If you are satisfied, press the green ACCEPT icon. Bonuses and feedback are always appreciated.

Thank-you,

Dr. Lisa

Dr. Lisa
Dear Dr. Lisa,

How much time does the bird have from the initial noted time the egg was stuck. We have tried to get a vet to see her but none will because there are no bird specialists on call over the weekend. The closest vet was 2 hours away. We can't do anything until tomorrow.

I am so sorry no-one will see you. You are sort of already over-the-limit for time. Try to really crank up the heat and humidity, and try to put a warm wet compress on her lower abdomen (tummy) if she will let you, but do not cause a struggle. Doing less will translate to doing more.

The extra heat and humidity (put her in a steamed up bathroom if you don't have a humidifier, will act as both pain medication and a relaxant. It is super-important to really get the heat up, especially with a humidifier running.

I'll keep you in my thoughts,

Dr. Lisa

Thank you so much for your help. We will continue to do all we can. She is pretty weak but I'm not giving up hope.

Thanks for the update. I hope she starts to improve soon!

Dr. Lisa

Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa