Bariatrics

Have bariatric questions? Ask a bariatric Expert.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife believed she has a weight problem so she enrolled…

Customer Question
My wife believed she has...
My wife believed she has a weight problem so she enrolled with a local clinic called "Lets Get Thin MD" (Letsgetthin.com). They put her on a medication that gives her tons of energy. I don't know what it's called but I think it's some kind of amphetamine, but I may be wrong. She also injects her self every few days with some other drug that they prescribed. She's told to get exercise and eat plenty of protein.To her credit she has lost over 30 Lbs over the last few months so now she weighs around 145 Lbs.My question is that before she started at this clinic she had been taking Citalopram for several years for depression. The few times she missed a few doses she turns into a very unhappy person and becomes extremely short tempered with everyone around her. Some months ago the clinic told her that Citalopram is linked with weight gain or at least less weight loss so she stopped taking it immediately. My life has become very difficult since that time and she is on edge most of the time. I know its because she stopped taking her antidepressant but she refuses to agree. Is there any truth to Citalopram being connected to weight gain or less weight loss ?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Bariatrics
I know that it's a bad idea to just stop taking any anti depressant but she has stopped now for several months so I don't think that is the problem at this point.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/26/2017
Bariatric Physician: Dr. K., MD replied 5 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Yes its true that celexa is associated with weight gain. So is depression. It may take 3 months for her to feel better after she goes off it. My feeling is that the amphetamine shes taking is more of the problem and responsible for her recent mood changes.
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD