Bariatrics

Have bariatric questions? Ask a bariatric Expert.

Ask a Doctor,

I am concerned I had come down with liver disease or

Customer Question
Ok so I am concerned...
Ok so I am concerned I had come down with liver disease or cirrhosis. I have a dull ache near my right ribs. I had my gallbladder removed so that’s not the issue I had been diagnosed with mild fatty liver. I am so concerned now I cannot sleep and think everything is a sign of liver disease or cirrhosis.I had blood work done on nov 15th ast-46, alt 80.Back in July I had a CT scan done saying the following results.
Liver- Normal in size with no suspicious focal lesions observed. The liver is diffusely diminished in attenuation relative to the spleen suggesting diffuse steatosos.
Impression - probable fatty infiltration of the liver.I had blood work done as well with the scan and they were this time my ast-51 and alt 102.So it looks as though my numbers have decreased since the CT but I am extremely worried. Could cirrhosis come upon me this quickly, what about liver disease or would that have shown on the ct scan in July? Or am I ok and need to take a chill pill?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bariatrics
11/27/2017
Bariatric Physician: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

You do not have cirrhosis. Fatty liver can be controlled with diet, abstinence from alcohol and if needed medication to reduce triglycerides. Your numbers do not reflect any significant liver disease. Discuss diet with your doctor and if you do drink alcohol, stop. Your liver will benefit greatly.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

I shouldn’t worry about any serious liver complications? The ct would have shown any thing of significance even though it was months ago?

Yes, the CT would have picked up a tumor, cyst or other pathology. Your recent blood tests ast-46, alt 80 are almost normal, which is a good sign. If alcohol is the cause, stopping can reverse the fatty liver over time.

Any additional thoughts, questions?

the slight discomfort under my rib cage is nothing to worry about? Don’t stress about the enzyme levels? Continue on with normal life, watch what I eat and drink?

With the numbers you have and no enlarged liver (by CT) you have nothing to worry about as long as you eat properly, reduce/eliminate alcohol, exercise and continue to live a very long normal life.