Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Lap band removal two months ago. Still get food

Customer Question

Lap band removal two months ago. Still get food particles/drainage remaining in throat/esophagus causing constant need to throat clear and constant mucous.
JA: How severe is this?
Customer: I can swallow fine but it's always going on.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Does that mean we're done?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Been trying protonix awhile in case it's GERD but hasn't helped. Considering some kind of esophagus dilation. There was a little scar tissue from the lap band I had for 2 years.
Category: Bariatrics
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry that you are having GI problems after your Lap Band removal.

The symptoms you have sound more like post nasal drainage for your sinuses. May I suggest you try over the counter Zyrtec D or Claritin D (antihistamine with decongestant) for 7-10 days. I feel you will see a significant improvement. If not, then it is time to schedule an appointment to have your esophagus looked at.

Does this sound reasonable?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already tried that.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry the antihistamine and Decongestant didn't provide relief. The next step is endoscopy to take a direct look at your Esophagus and a barium swallow. Both tests are indicated to rule out a stricture. Please discuss with your doctor.