Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I know which foods contribute to belly fat and I've been

Customer Question

I know which foods contribute to belly fat and I've been eating carefully for at least two years and the belly fat has not diminished (not enough). Are there foods that I should consume to help?
Category: Bariatrics
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your problem with reducing belly fat. Now there is certainly a strategy via which you can reduce your belly fat. However before that is started you should first consider whether there are any underlying medical causes which is preventing you from losing weight. Hypothyroidism is notorious for causing unnecessary weight gain and it will not respond to simple dietary adjustments. A simple thyroid function test would be more than enough to diagnose the problem. Another cause for this can be related to excess cortisol in your body, cushings syndrome can cause increased production of cortisol which can lead to excessive weight gain particularly in the belly region. Simple cortisol levels and suppression tests would be diagnostic here. Now there are other tests which can be done to rule out these and other conditions which i would suggest that you do get done. Now coming to losing weight, There are few things which you should look into,

• Avoid sugar containing products or any products which contain artificial sweetners. This includes any sweetned beverage, sports drinks and fruit juices
  • Increase your protein intake which has been shown to reduce cravings and help with weight loss.One study showed that the amount and quality of protein consumed was inversely related to fat in the belly. That is, people who ate more and better protein had much less belly fat . So make an effort to increase your intake of high protein foods such as
    • Egg whites,
    • fish, seafood,
    • legumes, nuts,
    • Meat,
    • dairy products and some whole grains.
  • Also cook your food in coconut oil which is an effective method to reduce belly fat. In addition stick to whey proteins which will help
  • Cut carbohydrates from your diet as much as you can. Carbohydrates lend a lot to increase the belly fat and that is why you should cut back on as many carbs as you can.
  • Dietary fiber is another excellent way to reduce your belly fat. However the important thing is to use soluble viscous fiber, such as the fiber present in legumes, cereals like oats. Dietary supplements like glucomannan will also help here.

Now specifically speaking the following food products can be helpful here as well,

• Oatmeal, the unsweetned kind
  • Almonds and other nuts
  • Olive oil (use this or coconut oil for cooking)
  • Berries which contain a lot of fiber
  • Beans and legumes
  • Whole grains
  • Peanut butter (limit yourself to two tablespoons a day)
  • Avocados
  • Tea
  • Cannenilli beans
  • Broccoli
  • Flaxseeds
  • Green tea
  • Curd

Now my recommendation is that you alter your diet to these above suggestions and at the same time discuss with your doctor whether you can have an underlying medical condition which is interfering with your ability to lose weight. Secondly, the dietary adjustment should ALWAYS be combined with vigorous exercise, simply changing the diet will not be enough you will have to pair it with a good exercise regimen which is very very important in order to lose weight.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional information you require, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated! :)