Bariatrics

Have bariatric questions? Ask a bariatric Expert.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a weight issue that is not due to anything physical.

Customer Question
I lost over 100 lbs...
I have a weight issue that is not due to anything physical. I lost over 100 lbs since 2001, but am still battling with about 40 lbs. I am 58 years old, weigh 200 lbs and am 5 ft 7 inches tall. I have knee problems and high blood pressure. My dad died at 63 and my mom at 71, both had high blood pressure. My dad died of a heart attack in his sleep and his dad died at 55 in his sleep. I know I need to lose the weight for health reasons, but cannot get past this plateau. I cannot seem to stick to excercise or a diet. I yo-yo dieted thru the years and want to get this beat for once and for all. What do I need to do mentally to win this battle?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bariatrics
7/26/2010
Bariatric Physician: Dr. Dan, Bariatric Physician (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bariatric Physician (MD)
It sounds like you have been very successful thus far. I think that you will be able to lose the rest of your weight by tossing out all the diets and just eat properly. I mean, eat 5-6 smaller meals per day, balanced between lean proteins, brown starch carbs, and veggies. A couple servings of fruit are ok. Avoid crunchy carbs, drinking your calories (milk, juice, soda), and sweets as much as you can. Bill Phillips' book "Eating For Life" does a pretty good job outlining this way of eating, which is the healthiest way to lose weight.
Good luck!
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bariatric Physician (MD)