Mary Graham
Mary Graham,
Experience:  Attorney at Hudson & Graham
106510231

What is the point of setting up payment plans with the irs

what is the point of setting up payment plans with the irs if the interest and penalties still accrue while I pay it off....?

Without a payment plan you've got an IRS lien. The IRS can garnish your wages and seize your property. IRS liens can't be discharged in bankruptcy. The IRS got Capone. You want to be working with the IRS - not trying to evade them. That's the point of a payment plan.

There are services out there in the business of negotiating tax liens, if you've got a lump sum to apply to the lien, but be careful because they're not all reputable.

I hope this helps. If it does, please click to *accept* this answer because that helps me get paid here.