Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

Filed chapter 7 in 9-2016. My house (no mortgage) sold a tax…

Customer Question
Filed chapter 7 in...

Filed chapter 7 in 9-2016. My house (no mortgage) sold a tax auction sale in 5-2017 for 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 property tax debt.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

NM and Oh, yes they (the State) has already transferred title.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

No, nothing in the district court has been filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I reopened my case to determine dischargabilty, that is pending.

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
5/30/2018
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Mark, Attorney replied 19 days ago
Mark
Mark, Attorney

What is your question?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Sorry. Are property taxes dischargeable?

Here is your answer:

https://www.moneymanagement.org/blog/2014/02/Will-bankruptcy-wipe-away-my-unpaid-property-taxes.aspx

n Chapter 7, property taxes less than a year old cannot be discharged, however, property taxes that were assessed more than one year prior to filing may be included. Tax liens, on the other hand, can never be discharged through bankruptcy. So if your unpaid property taxes have been converted into a tax lien that will stay in place no matter what, until you sell your house and use the proceeds to pay the liens.