Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I am very upset. I filed a ch 13 bankruptcy in 2006 with…

I am very upset...

I am very upset. I filed a ch 13 bankruptcy in 2006 with crescent jewelers debt added onto the list of creditors. the oakland ca judge granted my bankruptcy. i have received two calls in the last 4 years by debt collectors saying i owe debt with them they are closed out and filed too!

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

I moved to colorado..was in california ..concord my lawyer even said he has them listed and my debt charged off.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

I had a ch 13 bankruptcy in 2006 in oakland..and all my debt was erased i only had to make irs and car payment on my ch 13

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes..if im being illegally harrassed..can i file a lawsuit? and how much will this cost me today?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is a voice to text call i received this morning from a debt collector who hung up on me. This is an Urgent Message intended for Christina, Buckhannon. Contacting you to discuss the matter that's been forwarded to my office for consideration of legal action, including the filing of a lawsuit in a complaint with the court to discuss the possible pending actions that may be filed against you you will need to contact the firm immediately at(###) ###-#### And please reference file number to 40353. This is a time sensitive matter for you that you're not receive a response. They may proceed without your participation.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wikipedia shows Crescent Jewelers filed bankruptcy in the same year as me..Freidmans took them over..then they filed too! Now they all were bought out by Whitehall jewelers in 2009
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if i filed bankruptcy in 2006..and never heard from any collector until almost 2014...isnt this STRANGE?
5/11/2018
Mark
Mark, Attorney

Are you sure there are discharged? Were they listed?

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/debts-that-survive-chapter-13-bankruptcy.html

Did you have an attorney? Can you or your attorney write them and tell them it was discharged and they are violating a bankruptcy order by trying to collect it?

I would mail them a copy of the schedules listing them and the discharge order.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i dont remember who my attorney was anymore. it was 12 years ago..yes, i called my attorney 4 1/2 years ago to tell him that i was called by this random collector...8 years later! My attorney stated that he did see crescent jewelers listed on the ch 12 bankruptcy. I believe these are people calling to steal money from me. i read about it online last night and on the FTC site. same situations..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i dont think i should give or send any of my personal info to scammers and thieves who will see all my personal info.

File a complaint against them on with the FTC, BBB, and just send them a letter saying it was discharged in the bankruptcy. A letter is really not giving your info away.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but there anent any more crescent jewelers around ..thank you for the info. i will file a complaint ..i didnt handle the harrasment very well yesterday..they lied to try and scare me saying i was being served papers, as well... WELL, no papers and they are liars. I read online abourt them doing this to scare people into paying them money. I sure will file a complaint..and wish to know if I can sue them for harassing me 2 times in 4 years?

You might want to file a complaint with your state's AG and contact an attorney that specializes in it;

https://www.kazlg.com/Fair-Debt-Collection-Practices-Act/Most-Common-FDCPA-Violations.shtml

If you think I answered your question, then please accept my answer. I also only get credit if I get at least 3 stars. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I certainly accept your answer on how to resolve this issue ..thank you Mark!

Ok. Thanks. I think there might be a button or something for you to hit to accept it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i see where i rate your answer. it's not letting me click on the stars to rate your expertise. :( I have paused Ad Block and refreshed the page.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
something wrong with this website... have refreshed three times and removed security on this web page to rate you..not working
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will try and rate through my android phone.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gee...even my phone doesn't let me rate you! This is frustrating.

you should be able to rate.

Mark
Mark, Attorney

Thank you for accepting my answer.