Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

How can I best reduce and repay my credit card bills?

Customer Question
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/28/2018
Bankruptcy Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 29 days ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Do you have any judgments against you? Do you have any cash in the bank?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I have no judgements. I have a little money in the bank, I am 75 years old, with net income per month $1420.00 from SSA.

Thank you for the reply. If the debt is from credit card bills, your SSA may be protected and not likely something that they can go after, even if they sue and get a judgment for. They should not be able to garnish it, so that could be protected. However, if you want to settle, you would need to try and make them lump-sum offers, to pay these off. If they are past due and close to being sued upon, you can make them an offer to pay them, for a percentage of what is owed or if they will not agree, a repayment plan. A reduction is likely only going to be if you can make a lump sum payment.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I understand there are credit counselors who can negotiate a substantial reduction and payment plan. I need advice on how to judge my best choice. Is there someone who can advise me?

You need to be VERY careful with them, as they will charge you a fee and it may take months or over a year for them to work and you ONLY want to deal with someone who is an attorney and/or law firm, that will represent you if you are sued. To pay a company to do this and not have legal representation and pay them money and end up paying more for the debt, may not be in your best interest. There is no company that is truly great at this and you need to decide if what they want you to pay them, is worth it verse what you owe.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Terry L.
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney