Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I am a garrantor on a private student loan with my daughter.

Customer Question
I am a garrantor...

I am a garrantor on a private student loan with my daughter. she has filed chapter 13 bankruptcy. they are garranishing my pay. do her filing chapter 13 also protects me and should it bring an immediate halt to the wage garranishment?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

Yes the garranishment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The plaintiff filed a garrinishment in 2015 in magistrate court. The court closed the case and place a stat because of my daughter chapter 13 filing. I was released from the garrinishment in magistrate court because of her chapter 13 filing. She change the chapter 13 to a chapter 7 and now has change it back to a chapter 13. filing in m

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/21/2018
Bankruptcy Lawyer: NYCLAWYER, Attorney replied 3 months ago
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I am afraid it does not. They bankruptcy applies to her only. The creditor can pursue you and need not wait.

I am in the state of Georgia
She filed a chapter 13

understood, but it doesnt apply to you as far as a stay. creditor may settle with you though and you may look to contest the guarantee in court.

It did in magistrate court,

and did the court vacate it?

Her chapter 13 plan provides for full payment.
I am the cosigner

The creditor cannot collect twice, so if there is a plan in place for full repayment, it cannot doubly recover from you

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”