Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I have a form that I have to complete for a bankruptcy case…

Customer Question
I have a form...

I have a form that I have to complete for a bankruptcy case involving mineral rights (oil) that I inherited from my mother. One of the companies that holds an oil/gas lease has filed for bankruptcy. The case was filed after my mother’s death, but before the transfer was complete. It specifically asks for an amount that they would owe the recipients of royalties. I’m not sure if I should fill out this form without legal advice since I have no way of knowing whether they would have owed her anything or not, and this is a legal document. What advice can you give me as to how to proceed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Florida, however the mineral rights I inherited are in Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

My mother passed away in January and all the transfer documentation was completed in March and April. I received notification in January that this company had filed for bankruptcy, and received this form from the court Monday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so. I just really don’t know how to fill out this form and want to be sure I don’t do it wrong.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/21/2018
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Was she getting nay royalty payments here??