Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

How many days do you have to motion or appeal a judgment…

Customer Question
How many days do you...
How many days do you have to motion or appeal a judgment against you? For a lien or garnishnent on bank account.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/15/2018
Bankruptcy Lawyer: legalg, Attorney replied 4 months ago
legalg
legalg, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

There is a 10 day window in which an appeal may be filed; that statute is here:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title8.01/chapter3/section8.01-129/

Some appellate forms are here:

http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/cav/forms/home.html

This sets forth the process:

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circuit/sites/circuit/files/assets/documents/pdf/appeal-civil-court-of-appeals-procedure.pdf

Thank You,Can a judgment of lien be put on my bank account with out sending me a notification for court. Meaning can they send me to court but don't tell me and then try to take all my money out of my account?

The defendant would have notice of the judgment itself; the court may simultaneously issue a writ of fieri facias and the sheriff may sieze the property without further notice.

The writ creates an automatic lien; here is that statute:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title8.01/chapter18/section8.01-501/

I read the link but don't understand it. Is it worth me getting a lower to help me fight a against them taking all the money out of my account? Or is this a situation were when I appeal I can just make the monthly payments?

Actually many judgment creditors will work out a payment plan so that may be explored.

There are certain exemptions available such as Social security income, unemployment income, etc;

that statute is here:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title8.01/chapter18/section8.01-512.4/

So if the account is not exempt and the underlying debt is valid and the judgment cannot be vacated generally one will not contest it.

If this account was on my credit reports and then was taken off my credit report. Do I still owe the lawyer/ company?

If it has been removed from the credit report that means that 7 years has passed, or that the account has been made current, or that the creditor for some reason stopped reporting it.

A judgment remains valid for 10 years and can be renewed;

the creditor can still collect if the judgment is valid whether or not it appears on one's report.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.