Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I have a Bankruptcy that was discharged in January of 2011.

Customer Question
I have been told that...
I have a Bankruptcy that was discharged in January of 2011. I have been told that a bankruptcy can stay on your credit file from 7-10 years. Since I'm now at 7 years, is there a way I can be pro-active in getting this removed? Do I write letters to the respective credit bureaus or must I just sit and ride it out? If State regulations are different, I live in Michigan. Thank you for your help!
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/14/2018
Bankruptcy Lawyer: legalg, Attorney replied 4 months ago
legalg
legalg, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

A CH 13 bankruptcy remains on file for 7 years from the date of the bankruptcy filing; 10 years for a chapter 7. It is possible to have the bankruptcy removed if:

1. there are inaccuracies in the credit report (ie incorrect date)

2. the consumer contacts the bureaus under the Fair Credit Report Act requesting information on how they validated the bankruptcy. They have 30 days to respond. Normally it is verified through the courts. The court can then be contacted to determine if that is factual. If it is not, that may be a basis for removal.

Please see:

https://blog.equifax.com/credit/the-state-of-your-credit-report-seven-years-after-bankruptcy/

Thank you for your response. I have a Chapter 7. So are you telling me I need to ride it out for 3 more years?
Am I correct that I must wait for another 3 years?
Are we finished? I would like to have you respond to my final question, please.

I'm sorry; - I was away from my computer for a few minutes. One moment please.

Yes, a CH 7 would require 3 more years before it comes off the report unless the consumer disputes it based on the information be inaccurate/unverified. Otherwise it would remain unfortunately.