Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

Can i file for bancruptsy without my husband if we are not…

Can i file for...

Can i file for bancruptsy without my husband if we are not living together .we live in different states. we are not legally separated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

3/10/2018
Trista Johnson
Trista Johnson, Attorney
Good morning. My name is*****’m here to help answer your question.
I’m sorry to hear of your difficult situation. You are absolutely able to file bankruptcy on your own, without your spouse. The bankruptcy rules allow for joint or individual filing, regardless of whether or not you still live together or are legally separated.
Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am I supposed to show his income and expenses. What if he does not cooperate

Because you do not live in the same household, you are not required to show his income or expenses. His income should not be an issue for you to file individually, unless he's sending you support. It sounds like that is not the case.

Trista Johnson
Trista Johnson, Attorney
Trista Johnson
Trista Johnson
Trista Johnson, Attorney