Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I just need to know if its safe to file my tax returns now…

Customer Question
Hello, I just need to...
Hello, I just need to know if its safe to file my tax returns now or not. I was forced into a bankruptcy last year due to a shady investor that tried to force me into selling him my home the DAY AFTER I BURIED MY HUSBAND, when I was completely out of my mind and still in shock. After paying an attorney $400/hour for almost a year to fight this guy, I finally just had to give up because I was drowning in debt and unable to sell my home due to the LIs Pendens he'd filed.My home was used as an asset in the case, and was sold by the Trustee, and she has since sent me a statement showing what creditors were paid & how much, however I'm worried about filing my tax return, not knowing if the bankruptcy court might still confiscate my return?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
Answered in 5 days by:
3/14/2018
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 1 month ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Gina, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has
not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed
assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me
know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Gina~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well yes, I was still wondering the same thing.. I received the order for Discharge from my attorney, but I havent received a letter saying that the case is actually closed.. So is it safe to go ahead and file my tax returns? thanks for reaching out
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Andrew, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

The answer to your question depends on when you filed your bankruptcy.

Year before bankruptcy

Unspent tax refunds go to the estate because the refund is the debtor’s money that was unnecessarily paid to the IRS. It is treated like cash or money in a bank account.

Year of bankruptcy

A tax refund based on income you earned before you file for bankruptcy goes to the estate. However, you can keep part of the refund to the extent that the refund is based on income earned after the filing date.

Tax year after bankruptcy

You keep the full refund

Did you have any other questions? If not please don't forget to rate me. 5 stars is appreciated. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks so much for your response; so if i filed bankruptcy towards the middle/end of last year (2017)

So this is the hardest one to calculate but you potentially could keep part of the refund to the extent that it is based upon income earned after your bankruptcy filing date.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks again for your responses - I really appreciate your time

If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars is appreciated). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question. Thank you!

Hey please don't forget to rate. If more issues crop up please contact me! Here is the link to my profile:

https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-expert-andy/?rpt=3800

Ratings are at the top of the page! Good luck!

Andrew
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer