Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I don't know what to do. iam ssdi. I was with family. That…

Second opinion] I don't know...
Second opinion] I don't know what to do. iam ssdi. I was with family. That has changed. I have to look for a place to sleep. I have around $30000.00 in credit card bills. Some are iam but some your opened by my son. I could not turn him in. I have been paying the payments out of my ssdi. I wont be able to starting next month. What should I do. Pay some and who? I have at least 10 cards. I guess I need to know what to do.I live in Fredericksburg VA. My son tansfered his car into my name.He could not pay his personal proptery tax. My son has a major heron problem. My wife makes 65000.00 a year. She had credit cards in her name. We pay min. she proubly has 20000.00 in bills. House payment is in her name. She owns a 2007 buick. She is broke also. We have a couple of hundred left for food and tv phone propane electric home owner dues on and on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't understand. Do I pay some companies or none. Which is more important. I really don't have money
3/9/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Your should STOP immediately from paying off any of credit card debts. You should not be using your SSDI money that is 100% exempt from execution to pay unsecured credit card debts.

DO NOT let anyone intimidate you into paying. If the only thing you have is SSDI, then you are Judgment Proof. This means even if the credit card companies file lawsuit against you, they cannot collect on the Judgment because you do not have any NON-EXEMPT assets for them to come after. Your Social Security benefits are 100%exempt from execution for credit cards debts pursuant to 42 U.S.C Section 407. Thus, the credit card companies cannot come after your SSDI and more importantly NO COURT can order you to use your SSDI money to settle a debt.

You should concentrate in paying your house bill, bills for your car and other household expenses that you need to pay to put roof over your head and food on the table.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law