Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I had a business and didn’t close the EDD account and irs,

Customer Question
now I’m getting letters that...
I had a business and didn’t close the EDD account and irs, now I’m getting letters that I owe money, I’m not working and planing to go to my country but I also have collections here and there from the business because o got divorce and my ex husband used my social security to do many things, I’m going to file bankruptcy, how long that will take?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
1/22/2018
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Could you clarify?

Are you asking how long it would take for your bankruptcy case to be resolved after you file it?

Thank you for your cooperation.

If EDD and TAX BOARD OF EQUALIZATION WILL BE INCLUDED AND WHERE TO FILE BECAUSE IM BROKE

I am sorry, but I do not understand your follow-up statement.

You did not address my information request, but introduced new issues to your post.

Kindly respond to my information request.

Thank you for your cooperation.

O don’t care the time, I need to know:
1.- if EDD, TAX ACCOUNTS WILL BE INCLUDED
1.- WHERE TO APPLY FREE OR DO IT MY SELF.

Thank you for the information. However, I am unable to further assist. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Goodluck with your case,

Bankruptcy Lawyer: Terry L., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney

Good afternoon. Generally, if you are filing chapter 7, the process takes about 90 days to get your discharge. You should hire an attorney to assist you to make the process go smoothly.

1. EDD and tax obligations from a business are generally not dischargeable in a chapter 7. Most government debts are not discharged in a personal bankruptcy. Some income tax liability might qualify for discharge, but must be at least 3 years old when you file before they would meet the first qualifier. There are others, so talk to your bankruptcy attorney to assist you.

2. You would file in the state you live, if you have been there for at least 90 days. The local bankruptcy court would have links to the forms needed to file. Many also have a help desk that can assist you if you cannot afford an attorney. The attorney would be able to help you though, and would file your case electronically in the proper jurisdiction, and eliminate the stress of getting the right forms and filling them out properly.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

I’m in Texas but the business was in California and I didn’t operated since 2013, they still sending letters, than what should I do?
You would file in Texas
What will be difference or Benefit doing Texas, if there is something on my favor by doing it on either one?
If you have been in Tx for 90 days, that is where your jurisdiction and venue are to file there. If you plan to move back to California, meet with a bankruptcy lawyer to review your assets and available exemptions to tell you the best place to file and when