Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

Very important question - thank you in advance: A guy who is…

Hi, very important question -...
Hi, very important question - thank you in advance: A guy who is a film distributor ripped us off and filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court. I never got notice of this as the Court sent the notice to an old address in California. We moved to Hawaii. The deadline for objecting to his bankruptcy already passed (December 2017). My question is what to do? Should I file a motion with the Court or should I just go ahead and file the Opposition papers with an explanation to the Court about the wrong address? I'm an attorney too believe it or not! Thank you for any help!
1/12/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about this.

You should still go ahead and file the opposing papers with explanation to the Court why your filing is late. The sooner you file the papers, the better.

Also, if the debtor knows about your new address but used your old address, that would mitigate in your favor. It would appear that the debtor was purposefully trying to hide the bankruptcy filing from you and preventing you from asserting your rights.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law